1. Before we start talking about your book, why don’t you tell everybody a little bit about yourself?
I’m Pippa Jay, a girl who writes scifi. Whovian, Scaper, Sith-in-training, and mum to three little monsters. Somewhere along the line, a touch of romance crept into my books and refused to leave. My dream of being published one day has now come true.
2. Besides writing, what other things do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
I do freestyle street dance to keep fit, make costumes, read, and watch a lot of scifi/fantasy films and TV Shows. Weekends are family time so at the beach, walking, trips to the local zoo etc. We also have three pet bantam chickens, and watching them peck around the garden is quite relaxing.
3. What is your daily routine as far as when you have an idea for your story?
I get up, I sit at my computer and I type. I don’t move until I’m finished. Real life stuff permitting, of course.
4. Where do you get your ideas from?
Absolutely anywhere. Dreams, pictures, news on the TV, conversations, other books and films, music. I can pick up an idea from anything.
5. Out of all of the stories you’ve written so far, what would be your favorite and why?
My favourite is usually the most recent one out, although at the moment it’s a fight between my YA scifi Gethyon and my short story Imprint in the Tales from the SFR Brigade anthology,which both released in June. Gethyon because I loved torturing my young hero (bwah-ha-haaa), and it’s full of spaceships and a bit of technology. Imprint because I loved the two main characters, especially my feisty heroine, and because it was a bit of a change from what I’d written so far. The characters were so much fun to write, especially the interaction between the two of them.
6. Tell us something funny about yourself that not a lot of people know about?
I like tomato and potato salad sandwiches.
7. Are any of the stories you’ve written based on real life experiences or basically just from imagination?
Most have some basis on my real life, but built upon. For instance, I don’t know what it’s like to arrive on the alien planet for the first time, but I have visited some strange new places, so I can just extend what I experienced there and imagine how it might feel.
8. Does your ‘muse’ have a name and if so what is his/her name?
No name, but definitely a ‘she’.
9. What other genre besides the one you are writing about now would you like to venture into writing?
I’d like to write some more fantasy. I do have a dark fantasy romance partly written, but I’ve never gone back to finish it because scifi romance is my main genre at the moment.
10. Who are your favorite authors that are out now?
Jaine Fenn, Jessica Subject, Liana Brooks, Misa Buckley, Terry Pratchett and Neal Asher.
11. Who is your favorite female and male characters from your books and why?
That’s hard. I guess Quin and Keir from my debut novel. Quin, because she was a normal 21st century girl who had her world turned upside down, back to front and blown up, and yet she’s survived it all. She’s still human enough to make mistakes, but it’s made her incredibly strong and compassionate. Keir, because he had one hell of a start but still doesn’t take it out on anyone he meets.
12. What do you think is the hardest thing about being a writer?
Finding the time to do it all. Especially as most of us have to promote our own work as well as write it, and juggle real life too.
13. What advice would you give someone who wants to start off being a writer?
I always quote Commander Taggart from Galaxy Quest: “Never give up – never surrender!” You need to sit down and actually write, and keep writing.
14. If you hadn’t become a writer, what do you think you would be doing right now?
I have absolutely no idea. I used to be an analytical chemist, so I’d probably be looking around for a job in a laboratory of some kind.
15. What would be the perfect Romantic getaway?
Just time with my husband away from the little monsters for a while, lol. Somewhere isolated and pretty, with a cozy bedroom to snuggle up in.
Well now that we got the question and answer out of the way…..why don’t you tell us about your latest story you have out now?
Experience love and adventure among the stars in ‘Tales from the SFR Brigade,’ a free digital anthology of eight Science Fiction Romance stories.
• A space captain discovers the cyborg she loves just might be her greatest enemy.
• A mind-wiped prostitute risks all when she recruits a dangerous stranger to help her escape a terrible fate.
• A prisoner-of-war confronts the comrade who loved her, then left her for dead.
• A space-obsessed physics teacher is kidnapped by a far-too-charming alien.
• An apocalypse survivor battles the biomech-enhanced hunter who seeks to capture her.
• A young artist must choose between her comfortable life on Earth or a war-torn space colony with her beloved.
• A daring thief is on the run from the alien law man who is determined to bring her to justice.
• A widowed rebel leader tries to save the last remnants of humanity, one stranger at a time.
From Earth to the furthest reaches of the galaxy, explore the worlds of Science Fiction Romance with stories from Linnea Sinclair, Marcella Burnard, Erica Hayes, Liana Brooks, Pippa Jay, Berinn Rae, Amy Laurens, and Kyndra Hatch.
Download ‘Tales from the SFR Brigade’ for free today.
The door slid open and Tevik walked in. Jiona resisted the urge to leap up and tackle him. There’d be time for escape plans when she knew the deal…and had some clothing. A semi-naked female running loose would attract too much unwanted attention, even one as skinny as her. He’d done her a favor. Dammit, he’d saved her life. Plus, he held a tray with food and drink on it, and her stomach was already clenching in ravenous anticipation.
“Good morning.” He eyed her with suspicion and kept his distance. What was he afraid of? That she might kiss him again? Or try to hurt him? Right at that moment she wasn’t sure herself. He’d saved her, agreed to her insane request to be taken into his custody…and then stripped her. A slap would be appropriate, surely. “How are you feeling?”
“A damn sight better than the last time I was conscious.” Jiona couldn’t help staring. Tevik was only wearing jeans, displaying an expanse of coppery skin and a well-muscled torso. She found herself licking her lips, and quickly snapped her mouth shut.
He gave her an odd look, although those luminous eyes might seem weird to anyone meeting a Deluvian for the first time. Their strangeness had grown on her over their numerous tussles. “Are you sure you’re okay? I can still take you to the hospital.”
“I’m fine.” Not the hospital. Not there. She shivered. “Care to explain why I’m half-naked in your bed?”
Tevik quirked an eyebrow and perched beside her on the edge of the mattress, still keeping out of reach. “My bed, because there was nowhere else to put you. And as for your clothing…” He had the grace to look sheepish. “Strip search. After that trick in the vaults with the knife…” With one hand he gestured to a long, dark bruise over his ribs that matched those on the opposite side from where she’d kicked him. She flinched. “I couldn’t be sure what else you might have tucked away.”
“Bet you enjoyed searching me.”
A faint blush colored his cheeks. “I did what I had to do, for my own safety as much as yours. I didn’t want any booby traps going off in your outfit. You are known for them.”
She smirked. “Thought I might have a weapon tucked away in my panties?”
His blush deepened. Her panties had been little more than a strand of lace. Less restrictive, but certainly no cover for a weapon. Not even a very small one.
“With you, anything is possible.”
Jiona laughed. “Ah, now there’s a reputation I can be proud of!”
Taken from Imprint, Tales from the SFR Brigade
Free download links:
Smashwords – https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/329144
Kobo – http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/b/book-lnTbZXB-VkGPakvwuxWzlQ/page1.html
Barnes & Noble – http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/tales-from-the-sfr-brigade-jc-cassels/1115864827?ean=2940044605947
Diesel Books – http://www.dieselbookstore.com/ebook/9781301209194
Apple iBooks – https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/tales-from-the-sfr-brigade/id667156582?mt=11
Find out more on the anthology website at - http://www.sfrbrigadetales.blogspot.co.uk/
Or on Goodreads - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18112540-tales-from-the-sfr-brigade