1. Before we start talking about your book, why don’t you tell everybody a little bit about yourself? Okay, but first I want to thank you, Jamallah, for having me on your blog today! I’m happy to be here. As for me, I’ve always been an avid romance reader but decided to become a serious writer in 2009. My first novella, Because You Love Me, was published last year through Secret Cravings Publishing and I’ve been trying to churn out stories since!
2. Besides writing, what other things do you enjoy doing in your spare time? Well spare time is rare for me, but I do try to get through my TBR (to-be-read) list, I love cooking (and eating) and scouring Netflix.
3. What is your daily routine as far as when you have an idea for your story? I don’t really have a writing routine per se. When a scene or dialogue pop in my head I have to write it down or it’s lost forever. But I’ve started writing full manuscripts long-hand and find that I actually enjoy that writing method.
4. Where do you get your ideas from? They’re a mash-up of my experience and my imagination… a little bit this with a lotta bit of that. J
5. Out of all of the stories you’ve written so far, what would be your favorite and why? It’s tough to choose because they’re all my babies but I’m having a lot of fun writing my third story, Because This Is Forever. It’s turning out to be longer then my earlier work and has a four-year old that’s keeping me on my toes, lol.
6. Tell us something funny about yourself that not a lot of people know about? In my latest novella, Because You Are Mine, Cara tells her colleague, James, the story about her accidently calling the police, which is actually based on true events. It was my freshman year in college and my first week away from home. I didn’t have a cell phone yet so I had to use the housing community phone in the main office. Well, to dial out, the manager tells me to hit “line-one” then one plus the area code. For whatever reason, my ears heard “nine-one” then one plus the area code. So here I was pressing 9-1 then 1+[area code home] with no success. <sigh> Needless to say, the police shows up and I’m literally caught red handed, denying the whole time that I had called the cops.
7. Does any of the stories you’ve written based on real life experiences or basically just from imagination? They’re mostly imagination with a little of real-life experiences thrown in. (One of my sexy short is heavy on my personal experience but I’ll never tell…J)
8. Does your ‘muse’ have a name and if so what is his/her name? Hmm, she never told me her name but she’s a complete scatter brain so that’s no surprise…
9. What other genre besides the one you are writing about now would you like to venture into writing? My muse actually feeds me all kinds of stories (the consequence of dealing with a scatter brain) so I currently have a time travel, a historical, a romantic suspense, and of course a few more contemporaries on my TBW (to-be-written) list.
10. Who are your favorite authors that are out now? I have many old and new authors that I enjoy but I have to say my “Author Idol” is Linda Howard. She is what inspired me to become a writer.
11. Who is your favorite female and male characters from your books and why? Oh, do I have to choose! Okay, for now, I’ll have to say Sabrina and Jake because they were my first.
12. What do you think is the hardest thing about being a writer? The writing. For me, my stories play in my head like a movie and usually the scenes play faster than I can write them, lol. So what I do is let it play out then rewind and replay to get it all down. It’s tough (because it never plays back the same way) but that’s what keeps it interesting!
13. What advice would you give someone who wants to start off being a writer? My advice: write what you love, start building your “author brand”, join a writing community, read everything, and keep writing!
14. If you hadn’t become a writer, what do you think you would be doing right now? There’s a big possibility I would be trying to open a restaurant… I’m ambitious like that, lol.
15. What would be the perfect Romantic getaway? Somewhere isolated and warm—something like a cabin in the woods but on a tropical island.
Well now that we got the question and answer out of the way…..why don’t you tell us about your latest story you have out now?
Because You Are Mine is my second novella and it’s a story about broken bonds and betrayal. Here’s a quick blurb about it:
Growing up, Cara Sinclair and Drake Ross shared an undeniable bond… until they found themselves in a fight for their lives. Drake soon learns that betrayal cuts deep, and the connection he and Cara once shared is irrevocably shattered. Twelve years later, fate conspires to bring them back together. Drake has been hired as the new Finance Director for a prominent consulting firm—and as Cara’s new boss. Yet while they struggle with their reawakened desires and unforgotten passions, Drake is left more uncertain of the past that tore them apart. But the love that binds them proves impenetrable. And when light is finally shed on the secrets that haunt them, Cara and Drake soon discover that danger still lurks… and betrayal cuts deeper than they could have ever imagined.
Sneak Peek (excerpt):
Drake was in a bad mood.
The monthly alignment meeting had proved to be a complete waste of time. He had more important things to do then sit around and re-discuss irrelevant material. He didn’t care who they selected to redesign the company’s website. He wanted to know how they planned to improve their network security and inefficient infrastructure.
He strode back to his office, irritated by the lost time.
As soon as he entered his office, he froze.
Resting on his sofa was Cara’s small feminine figure. For a moment he just stood there, transfixed. Then, without thinking, he quietly closed the office door and walk up to where she slept.
Her curly hair was pushed back but a few dark tendrils managed to escape and sprawled across her face. Her head rested on the sofa arm and the position exposed the tiny mole on her slender neck. A flaw he always found endearing.
He couldn’t take his eyes away. The peacefulness of that moment left him mesmerized. In that short moment, his mood shifted. His irritation melted away and was replaced by a pleasant calm.
He crouched down in front of her, fighting the urge to lean down and kiss her smooth, graceful neck. She was a natural beauty, and in sleep she was achingly so.
But the peaceful moment came to an abrupt end.
With a loud gasp, she jolted awake and stared right at him. Her eyes widened and she stifled another gasp when she found him hovering only inches away. He could practically feel the panic building inside her.
He was fascinated at how she could be sound asleep one minute then wide awake the next. She ran her hands through her mane of curls and he was drawn in by the feminine gesture. The uncomfortable strain forming in his pants was his cue to move away.
He ignored it.
“Hello there,” he greeted, his tone devoid of emotion. “How was your nap?”
Find “Because You Are Mine” here:
Secret Cravings Publishing: http://store.secretcravingspublishing.com/index.php?main_page=book_info&cPath=4&products_id=563&zenid=a719720a9d37c221c0a4e871fa20479e
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/because-you-are-mine-lena-hart/1114977173?ean=2940016514031
To learn more about Lena and her work, visit www.LenaHartSite.com or find her rambling at www.scatblogging.blogspot.com